Benefits Obtained/Outcomes Improved:
• Number of days between Pap smear and client notification goal is 30 days per policy. Actual average number of days is 24 (decrease of 17 days).
• Number of days between Pap smear results returned from state lab and client notification goal is 14 days. Actual average number of days is 3.3 (decrease of 6.2 days).
• Streamlined notification policy to decrease amount of time Abnormal Pap Smear Coordinator spent in process.
• Established only one clinic staff member as Abnormal Pap Smear Coordinator for all programs, which freed up two staff members.
• Eliminated three ticklers systems (duplicated work).
• Established new standing orders on Abnormal Pap Smear Protocol and infections noted on Pap Smear Protocol.
• Abnormal Pap Smear Coordinator reviews all Pap smears, which freed up the family nurse practitioner (FNP) (provider) to see more clients.
• Gained more patient touch time for provider and clinic staff.
• Improved staff morale (65% reported less stress with new process).
• By decreasing notification time to clients, clients who follow through with follow-up recommendations have increased by 19%.
• Aid YCHD to meet legal or regulatory obligations.
• Standardized lab log, which saved money on paper needs (went from 11 x 17 to standard size of 8.5 x 11).
• Removed abnormal Pap log found in chart. Documentation of Pap smear results already in chart, so there is no need to duplicate on another form.
• Clients complete one-half of sheet (address and phone number form) at each visit for current contact information, which has decreased the amount of time spent looking for correct addresses and phone numbers to contact clients.
• Chart takes five different steps within the new Pap smear process (decrease of four steps).
• 96% client satisfaction with new education (increase of 3%).
Tangible Financial Benefits (Yearly Basis):
• FNP (239 visits in June vs. 304 visits in August). Sixty-five more clients/month. Generating $78,000 revenue/year.
• Reduced paper costs by using standardized paper and eliminating duplicated work, saving $1,140.
• Kaizen event (food, supplies, lab book): $364.13
• Equipment: $415.44
• Hotel expense: $699.00
• Staff time for conferences/Kaizen event: $10,115.00
Current Project Cost: $11,593.57
Yearly Continued Cost:
• Postage/certified letters: $151.08/year
• Abnormal Pap Smear Coordinator time: $12,480.00
Yearly Cost: $12,631.08
Economic Impact of Project:
• Project saving: $78,000.00 + $1,140.00 = $79,140.00
• Year 1 impact = $79,140.00 − $24,224.65 = $54,915.35
• Year 2 and beyond = $66,508.92
Return on Investment (ROI) Results:
For every $1 invested on improvement, YCHD gained in financial improvement, as shown below:
ROI = (Savings − Cost)/Cost
$2.27 = ($79,140.0 − $24,224.65)/$24,224.65 for Year 1
$5.27 = ($79,140.00 − $12,631.08)/$12,631.08 for future years